Hello All,
Just wanted to toss in my most recent experience and the value that I got out
of it.  I know some of you guys out there (it feels like most of you) are
experienced mechanics, fiberglass repairmen or aviation engineers.  For people
like me who are real estate guys it has been a big learning curve and I believe
I am still on the bottom end of the slope.  But I have learned a lot and I
expect to learn more.

I am  a part owner of  a Beechcraft Sundowner and my partner is a new A&P
(retired from Monsanto so this is his 2nd career) and together with an IA we
did a complete annual this past weekend.  I believe I was the willing slave
labor for the job.  But the important part is that I learned a great deal this
weekend.  I have always believed you learn much more by doing something as
opposed to reading about it, listening to someone tell you about it or even
watching someone do it.
So I am now somewhat of an expert on repacking wheel bearings, changing brake
pads, replacing the wheels and disassembling just about every inspection plate
on the plane.  We had a fuel leak in the selector valve and I actually swapped
it out.  So my hands & fingers are scarred up and a little stiff from fighting
to get to the nuts/fittings holding it in. We had to defuel the plane and more.
 It was great.
The bottom line is that I am infinitely more familiar with this plane than I
was last week.  I have learned a great deal and will be much more confident
working on my KR2S.
Things I didn't know about include items such as during the compression test,
the prop can spin and give you a good whack on the head.  Without being warned
in advance it could have easily happened to me.  But now I do know how to
"feel" for top dead center.  What other little things to watch out for do I not
know?  I will continue to try and find out.

Anyway, I feel a whole lot better about myself and that I may be more capable
than I was giving myself credit for.  Education and experience are wonderful
things.  As I get more, I get more excited about what I can do with this KR2S
and it seems really possible.

I encourage all of you who have doubts about your abilities, volunteer to be
the labor in any inspection/job and you will be the better for it.  I know a
guy about to do some fiberglass work on his speedboat.  I intend to learn all
about fiberglassing there.

Keep working.  I intend to.

Ray
New Orleans