Dean,

I wouldn't be afraid of using barbed fuel fittings and for that matter
plastic fuel lines, depending on the application.  They are widely used in
Ultralight, Light Sport Aircraft, and many Experimental-Amateur Builts in
the US.  There are some excellent (tough) plastic fuel lines on the market
these days.  Many builders, if not most, use safety wire instead of the worm
gear type clamps which have been known to break or become loose over time.
In Krs, such plastic lines have been used successfully (mostly aft of the
firewall) for sight gauges, auxiliary fuel tanks, conduit for wires, etc.
Some common sense needs to be used in considering placement away from a high
heat source and in bend radiuses so they don't pinch off.  Where fuel lines
are visible, it's comforting to be able to see fuel flowing through them.  I
use clear plastic lines on my Minimax which can be inexpensively replaced
every couple years as a part of routine maintenance.  They can also help
reduce the possibility of restricted fuel flow by reducing the number of
fittings used in the fuel system and the flexibility can help absorb engine
vibration.

Ed Janssen