Mark Wegmet wrote:

>>Just my two cents, but who are we talking about; the folks that actually
built their airplane or just anyone who flies there? If I buy a Glasair,
Falco, KR, or whatever, do I get in free too?<<

EAA was founded on experimental aircraft, and I'm not thrilled that it's now
being expanded to "spam cans", a segment that is well represented in so many
ways.  Warbirds are nice from a nostalgic standpoint, but if I never had to
stop another conversation with a KR builder to plug my ears while a Harrier
showed off in front of the airshow crowd, it would be fine with me.
Organizations (and magazines) that represent experimental aviation can be
counted on a few fingers of one hand.  There is a deliberate effort to merge
EAA with AOPA and other GA interests, and I think GA has plenty of other
ways to represent itself.  I'm an AOPA member, and I don't need another GA
magazine.  If I wanted to overdose on GA and fancy bizjets and twins, I'd
subscribe to Flying. Cessna folks have the Cessna Maintenace letter and all
that kind of stuff.  Experimentals are so few and far between that they need
a magazine devoted to nothing but them.  Kitplanes is number one there, as
far as I'm concerned, although Sport Aviation is coming back around to some
extent.  The EAA's online videos are excellent, and that kind of information
and coverage is where the organization should be putting its effort...where
nobody else does.

To answer your question, one of my biggest impediments to staying very long
at Airventure is the camping hassle.  If they'd give every experimental
aircraft builder with a Repairman's Certificate in his pocket who flies into
OSH  a 50% discount on camping and daily admission, I personally would feel
much better about flying in and camping there.  I'm not a reknowned
cheapskate, but it doesn't sit well with me to fly in and put my plane on
display, subjecting it to damage from airshow gawkers and children, and have
to pay for admission and camping for the honor of doing so.  I realize that
incentivizing experimental aircraft builders to show up for OSH is a foreign
concept, but I think it has merit.

Five dollar hotdogs and drinks are another matter...

Mark Langford
ML at N56ML.com
website at http://www.N56ML.com