Dan Heath wrote:

>>Both Matt Elder and Mark Langford spent a lot of their time trying to
>>solve
the mystery and earlier this week, I got an email from WW offering to come
up and help me find the problem.  However, today, I must have gotten some
divine intervention.  I could not stop the thought in my head that I should
check the polarity on the coils, even though I knew which side was which.<<

Dan, you're giving me too much credit regarding "putting a lot of time into
it"...I was only there for two hours.  I had to leave early due to a line of
thunderstorms that was about to force me to spend the night at your house.
In those two hours, I properly set the timing (statically), and  quickly
declared the electronic ignition dead.  I then ascertained that the spark
was intermittent, and  suspected the condensor  because it was obviously
arcing internally while testing (I could hear it from three feet away).  I
bypassed the coil joiner just in case (your phone message said it was bad,
but I'm not sure that it is...doesn't jive with testing, and is comprised of
two big diodes that are "polarity sensitive").

Given that we didn't have time to get a new condensor, and I didn't bring
one with me (I meant to), I had to leave before the condensor was swapped
out.  But since you swapped out the condensor AND the reversed polarity on
the coil (which you assured me was correct) at the same time, I didn't
pursue it,  knowing that reversing polarity on the coil may slightly affect
the high RPM performance and the overall life of the plugs, but will work
fine under all but extreme use.

If the coils were wired in reverse, that explains the fried electronic Crane
module.  One nanosecond of reversed connection will fry it.  For those who
are wondering, the red stripe goes to the positive side of the coil, the
yellow striped one goes to the negative.

What I'm trying to say is that your "divine intervention" may have flown in
with "N56ML" on the tail!

See the top of http://www.n56ml.com/sunsets/ for a view of the weather on
the way out of KCUB...

Mark Langford