On 12/2/2011 4:08 AM, Dave_A wrote:
> Is there any real advantage to teflon-coated aircraft wire over more
> common twisted-pair varieties?

Well, it won't make a highly poisonous gas when it burns...  And it
doesn't like to/won't burn in air (read self-extinguishing).  A good
thing if you have an electrical fire... Also, the Tefzel wire is tough
stuff.  The insulation won't wear through nearly as fast as the
automotive will.

You should be using Tefzel coated wire where possible.  For the amount
of wire in the airplane, the cost difference between using automotive
wire and aircraft wire was not worth the effort/risk to "cheap out" for me.

You can even get multi-conductor shielded wire for your data
applications that comes as aircraft wire.

RG-58/U is one possible coax, yes.  You'll need to consult the manuals
for your radio/XPDR to make sure the impedance required is 50 Ohm (I
think most are.)  I only mention that because RG-59 is 75 Ohm and looks
pretty much the same.

Matt