On 12/2/2011 10:58 AM, Dave_A wrote:
> The reason I said 58U is that (From what I'd seen online) 58 U foam-core
> has some of the lowest attenuation of the 'common' cable types (1.7db,
> IIRC)....

I don't disagree with you.  I've used it with great results, as have
many people over the years.  I'm not starting an argument (this is more
for my own personal education), but I just don't see much of a
benefit...  at least that would drive me to rip it out of my plane.
Yes, it's true that lower loss is better, but what range increase will
you really see?

I did some calcs to highlight the differences between the two cable
types.  Granted, they are simple and there are many other variables that
I won't pretend to know about, but here it is:

Parameters -
   15 ft Coax Length
   1:1 SWR (assumed)
   8W Carrier Output Power

Results -
   RG-58 - 6.8W Output Power (.69dB total loss)
   RG-8X - 7.0W Output Power (.58dB total loss)

Perhaps it's more of a question about how far you can receive?  Glenn,
if so, can you show me?  I just don't know.

Matt