Holy Cow....it reached 39 degrees here today and I went flying. And a
beautiful flight it was. Surface winds were 12 mph and were 5 degrees
crosswind to runway 21 at Stevens Point. After my preflight and fuel
acquisition, I taxied to 21 did my run up and firewalled her. She jumped
right off the ground and like a homesick angel she climbed out of there.
Almost a month without flying I let out a big yeehaaaaaaaaaa that could be
heard round the world.....yea right. Anyway, it was pretty bumpy on climb
out till I reached 4000 and then it was smooth as glass. There were no other
planes flying in my area which surprised me on such a nice day here. Then
the strangest feeling came over me. I realized I ws hardly moving. A quick
glance at the air speed indicator said I was doing 147 mph. I looked at the
GPS and it said my ground speed was 89 mph. No wonder I felt like I was not
moving. It was like being in a J3 Cub. What a hoot to fly so slow in a KR. A
quick 180 degree turn and my GPS jumped to 205 mph. Now I was really letting
out that yeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa as I was cooking across the ground. That was
the fastest ground speed I have ever seen in my KR in level flight. That
really made me want to go somewhere and get there fast. Too bad I did not
have the time to take such a trip. Instead I just plyed around the sky doing
wingovers, tight turns, roller coasters which lifted me out of my seat and
just had fun with the high winds above. Time to come in so I set up a five
mile final to 21 and it seemed like it took me forever to reach the runway.
Not one of best landings as the sun was directly over my nose. I actually
had the sun in my prop path as I touched down. Now that flickering of sun
light through the prop was very distracting. My roll out was also short due
to the winds. Overall, a great flight. God I love my KR and can't wait to
fly her again.

Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Stevens Point, WI
E-mail: flyk...@charter.net