maybe I should have asked 'gaining some weight and a safety margin isnt such
a bad idea?' Vaughan Thomas
Hamilton. New Zealand
----- Original Message -----
From: "Vaughan Thomas" <v...@xtra.co.nz>
To: "KRnet" <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 11:35 PM
Subject: Re: KR> Fwd: Cranks and flywheels

I,m watching the discussion re corvair engine & broken crankshafts with
interest. (I'd like to get a couple of suitable engines having purchased
WW's conversion manual - but the engines dont exist down here in NZ). It
seems Glen martin might be ontoit as to the flywheel thing, can a prop
achieve the power impulse dampening effect like a flywheel, especially on an
engine intended to run a flywheel or torque converter ?  do 3 bladed props
give a better absorption effect?  Has there been significantly more broken
cranks on 2 or 3 blade propped engines?? Perhaps saving some weight but
gaining  a safety margin isnt such a bad idea? What does the guru WW think
about the broken crank scenario? any comments? Vaughan Thomas
Hamilton. New Zealand