On 12/26/2011 9:56 PM, Tony King wrote:
> One significant factor, regardless of which end it's being driven from, is
> that the torsional loads imposed on the crank in an automotive application
> are vastly smaller than those imposed by a propellor spinning at 3000 rpm.
On a theoretical note: Isn't the flywheel meant to store the energy
imparted to the crank between the power pulses? And if that is the case,
doesn't a lighter flywheel tend to cause the torsion differential
between the pulses on the crank to increase versus a heavier flywheel
which will tend to store the energy longer. This is comparable to what a
filter circuit does in electronics. If I reduce the capacity of a
filter, then the ripple voltage will increase, especially under heavy
loads. Perhaps  a heavier flywheel should be considered, especially in
an engine which is being increased in its power output. I'd be
interested in hearing the science on this.

--
Glenn Martin,
KR2 N1333A,