At 09:24 PM 2/11/2012, you wrote:
>What is lighter, the sheathing plywood used on the fuse, or thin foam
>covered in BID? I've seen some guys fill the gaps between structural
>members and cover with glass. Anyone have experience with this technique?
>What's the weight diff?
>
>Phill

I don't think the real question here should be the weight but the
strength / characteristics of the two materials.  The compression /
tension characteristics of the two materials will differ considerably
and you can't just substitute one for the other based on weight.  I'm
no engineer but I'd bet a lot of money that the compression strength
of a thin layer of glass, even with a foam core, is a lot less than
plywood.  You could either over build, with a great weight penalty,
or have a structural engineer design a structural to handle the loads
using the new material.  Why not just build to proven plans?

Larry Flesnr