From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net] On Behalf
Of Dave Dunwoodie
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2011 7:16 PM
To: kr...@mylist.net
Subject: KR> iFly 700

I've been following the comments with interest.  I own several GPS
units, Garmin included, and have a total of four GPS units in my Warrior
(for various reasons).

I can say hands-down, the iFly 700 wins the prize.  I've been so
enamored with this unit that I actually removed the Garmin and re-worked
the panel in my KR2 to accommodate the 700.   There have been concerns
and comments about the usability of the screen in direct sun, and those
concerns and comments are valid.  Walt has addressed the situation via
the soon to be released iFly 720, which has a significantly improved
screen for those of us that have unshaded canopies.

There are a lot of features on the 700 that make it worth your
attention.  many of the capabilities clearly go beyond what we'd want or
expect in a GPS, but they're handy!  I have my checklist stored in the
unit, a finger touch for each item as we go.  This is just bells and
whistles, but it sure is handy!!!  The iFly isn't being marketed as an
EFIS, so anything like this is a bonus.

We're having a lot of fun with our unit!!!  Via added memory and/or USB,
we now have in-flight movies as well as a live external camera view.

My unit is hardwired to the main power buss, off of the avionics breaker
and switch.  I have been able to make the unit freeze twice now, after
diligent efforts to break it.  In both of those instances, a simple
toggle of the avionics master and the unit restored without a hitch.
Often, avionics don't like RF.  I've tried everything I could think of
to "break" it via keying the COM radio, hitting test on the transponder,
and even holding a handheld right against it and keying up.  To my
amazement, it just kept plugging along!

I was going to buy a 2nd unit, and then the 720 beta came into view, so
I'm on standby at the moment.  I think what will ultimately happen is
that the 700 will go into the Warrior, the 720 into the KR2.

I'm absolutely sold on this unit.  The performance is excellent, the
customer support is superb.

Photos of the final panel mount are available at
http://www.ellwood-designs.com/kr2.

Dave.