Colin hales
Subject: Not Flying in Japan

The latest.

The British Embassy were doing a very good job of helping me with my
application paperwork, even though they are very busy because it is raining
North Korean Missiles around here. But the JCAB did not like my hand writing
style. (Honest, that was their words! I just hope it was a loss in
translation.) So we got a message from Pathfinders. Pathfinders is ‘local hero
and Red Bull Air Race Pilot Yoshi Muroya’s’ own company. They also organise the
Red Bull Air Race in Japan and had offered to help me before.

Some months back, Yoshi’s assistant had arranged a meeting with the JCAB and
myself, but the JCAB phoned her up the night before to cancel the meeting
saying the JCAB would only work with the British Embassy. Two months later that
had all changed again and now Pathfinders said they would help me, once more
with the JCAB.

A meeting was held with the Pathfinders assistant, but she brought their own
agendas along. They had changed the route, wanted me to meet Majors of
Prefectures and expected me to fly into an airfield that was too short, with no
fuel or services. Pathfinders assistance would be free, but I was expected to
pay some $3,000 to cover handling agents fees at these airfields on route. I
agreed to all this. There was one main outstanding item. I was yet to pay the
parking fee at Niigata. I considered that was my only remaining bargaining
chip. If ever the JCAB completely refused to give me flight permission, why
would I pay the parking fees for being held up over the last 6 months. But I
agreed to pay the fees to be able to move on and remove any stumbling blocks. I
signed lots more application documents to be sent to the JCAB and all was so
pleasant with smiles all round. Ho ho…

So reluctantly I paid the parking fees and sent a joke attached to lighten the
mood between me and the JCAB financial offices. Humour had been a major player
in getting the plane through Russia and surely it couldn’t hurt. I told them I
would pay the Parking Fees if they paid my hotel bills.

The next day I was called into the British Embassy. Now, it is never good news
to read that the British Embassy need ‘a chat’ with you… Apparently Pathfinders
were wanting to pull out their support as I was being awkward and the JCAB
wanted to know why I expected them to pay my Hotel Bills?

A lot of back pedalling was done and apologising emails were sent everywhere.
The British Embassy convinced Pathfinders to continue with their assistance,
but they said they were too busy now with the organisation of the Red Bull Air
Race and I would have to wait two weeks till after it was over. I’m good at
waiting, so took chance to look around Japan for the two weeks up to the event.

The Air Race was good, I went along. Yoshi won, so I thought Pathfinders would
be happy. I wrote a congratulation email to them, but left it a few days for
things to calm down before contacting Pathfinders again to continue. But the
same day I got a message from the British Embassy saying that Pathfinders had
told the JCAB that they had changed their mind again and decided to remove
their support weeks ago, but just not told anyone. They will not tell me why or
respond to my emails. I wondered why Air Race Paddock passes and party invites
dried up? Very Japanese. Also the JCAB told me that none of the many
application documents and letters I signed with Pathfinders were ever sent in
or submitted. So that was another month wasted. But I can’t write to
Pathfinders to find out why, in case I upset them…? I’m fed up with this
attitude, do you think I am not upset at another month wasted???

The JCAB confirmed I would find it difficult to apply for flight permissions
myself, but I’m finding it impossible to apply with so called agents apparently
helping me. They are making it more difficult and really just wasting
everyone’s time. Today another agent contacted me, Peter Steeger, saying the
JCAB had contacted him to ask him to submit my application paperwork. But Peter
Steeger and I don’t agree on so many issues. Anyway, I have had enough of being
told what to do and being advised to get help. I am fed up with handing my
tour, my flight, my future over to another third party as advised by the JCAB
ever since I arrived. So many agencies I have had to use to help with my
application, and if you go on results alone, the plane has not moved in 6
months. I have not received any help whatsoever, just hindrance. I can't easily
get access to my plane now to inspect it. The brakes are a shocking mess and
they took the fuel out of my plane so i couldn't jump the fence and take off I
expect. I mean you can't or shouldn't upset the Japanese or make them loose
face, but its quite alright to act with such stupidity to cause me such
offence. The took the fuel out my plane. I mean come on...

So starting tomorrow, I will fill out more application documents and walk down
to the JCAB office, I know where it is down town, and go and do what I should
have 6 months ago but was advised not to. I'll knock on their door and hand
them in myself. I have now amassed a lot of Japanese pilot and engineer support
for my flight, so with their help, I will put in the applications. I can’t do
any worse than anybody else in the last 6 months.

There are still so many other avenues to investigate. But presently, all I need
to do is get a Japanese pilot or engineer at the three airfields I intend to
land at to agree to act as support, get the JCAB to like or understand my
writing and off we go.

An interesting week ahead, but at least I will be in charge and doing
something. Just sitting back waiting for others not to help has really upset
me. But don’t tell the Japanese I am upset, it might upset them, and we
wouldn’t want that now would we…

I hope you are all being successful in what ever you are trying to achieve.

Cheers

Colin.