From: Mark Langford via KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
To: KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
Cc: Mark Langford <m...@n56ml.com>
Sent: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 14:05:58 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: KR> engine start

Bob Russell wrote:

> I am wanting to start some vw conversions that I have and was
wondering if anyone has been able to start them without a prop on.
> I could put one on but since we are having quite a bit of rain, I
> was
thinking of doing it in my hangar.
> It seems to me that it should run as there is a flywheel( and I will
put a fan in front to cool).

I've gotten in the habit of setting the timing without the prop on my
VW. There's a lot less drama, and the timing is far easier to nail down
perfectly when there's not a 100 mph wind blowing everything around.
This probably doesn't work if you have a vacuum advance though, which
you shouldn't.  And obviously, don't run it for more than a couple of
minutes.  It won't heat up too much in two minutes.

I have a lightened flywheel on the back also, so running it for a few
minutes without a prop doesn't concern me.  The risk is that if you
start it, you'd better make sure it's not going to hit 6000 rpm
instantly...definitely start with throttle barely cracked, because
there's no load on it at all.

Another thing I've learned with mine is that priming it with oil is not
easy, if it's a fresh rebuild.  I've learned to lube the oil pump gears
with thicker grease that improves the seal between gears and housing,
put a little extra oil in it, and leave it sitting with the tail up in
the air overnight to make sure the oil is available to the pump.  Then I
backfill with more oil through the oil pressure sensor hole (near the
distributor) to fill that oil passage up, and hopefully put more oil
into the pump.  Then I fill that NPT hole with a mechanical oil temp
gauge and spin the engine over with the starter with all plugs removed
and spark plugs removed but still connected to plug wires, and grounded
(laid across the cylinders as a ground), so I can check spark at the
same time).

Contrast this with the Corvair, where you simply fill the engine with
oil, use the distributor drive gear to spin the pump up for a few
seconds until you hear oil splashing all around the engine, reinstall
the distributor, and fire it up!

Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com
http://www.n56ml.com