Henni van Rooyen wrote:

> What was your experience with your split flaps? I intend to make split flaps on the inboard wings only, all the way to the rear spar. I found a nice picture where another builder did same & it's really easy to make.

Split flaps work great! I chose split flaps precisely because they ARE very high drag...which is exactly what you need to slow a slippery KR down while landing. Mine are large chord (20%) and long (54" each on the outboard wings), and I'd certainly not call them "too much drag"...they slow you down, and provide more lift for that slower landing. But I only have 1130 hours on mine, along with several thousand landings, so I'm just getting started here. I've done go-arounds and left the flaps down, but it doesn't take long to figure out why the climb rate is suffering (down to ONLY 500 ft/min with a Corvair), and retracting the flaps fixes that situation in a hurry. Even with a VW, it will gain speed and climb nicely, so it's not like you're going to simply run off the end of the runway at full power.

Having said that, I'm also a convert to the belly board concept, having installed one on N891JF. That works fine too. You get just as much board area as a two smaller flaps on the stub wings, there's no danger of a "split flap situation" where one is down and the other isn't, and it's far simpler to implement, especially after the plane is already built.

See http://www.n56ml.com/n891jf/speedbrake/ and
http://www.n56ml.com/owings.html .

Mark Langford
m...@n56ml.com