From: KRnet [mailto:krnet-boun...@list.krnet.org] On Behalf Of Larry Flesner
via KRnet
Sent: Monday, 18 September 2017 2:38 PM
To: KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
Cc: Larry Flesner <fles...@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: KR> Unexpected engine failure causes

At 04:22 AM 9/18/2017, you wrote:
>Hi everyone,
>
>Please help in including known none direct engine related causes of
>engine failures i.e:
>
>1. Using aluminium tubing for fuel lines - these apparently heat up and
>cause vapour locks.

These should be wrapped forward of the firewall to prevent vapor lock

>2. Using too thin fuel lines - not enough fuel flow available.

Perform a fuel flow test before first flight

>3. Faulty fuel level sensors i.e. stuck float indicators.

Use a clock as backup (or primary) to any fuel level indicators

>4. Not using inline fuel filters.

Or, in line filters that clog.  Make them easy to change and use a known clean
source of fuel.  Sump tanks for contaminates.

>5. Complicated or mis-managed fuel system, i.e., fuel selector, switches.....

Poorly designed / no backup on electronic ignition.

Improper fuel pressure for the system, too high / too low.

Pilot error:  Shutting off both tanks in flight. (don't ask me how I know that
one)

Larry Flesner