I've been flying with "cheap" strobes for 13 years now, never use them, and I'm considering upgrading to some aircraft quality strobes.  Current strobes are on the fuselage, top and bottom, but I'd like to mount them on the wing, piggyback to my position lights.

My concerns:  I assume the power supply would have to be located very near the lamp assembly.  My fuel tanks run the full length of the wing to the 36" rib, 10"'s behind the forward spar,  with only a 4" tip beyond that.  Even if I could locate the power supply more near the trail edge of the tip I'd have a high voltage supply within 12 inches of the end of the fuel tank. Unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm not comfortable with that.  If it were to overheat, surrounded by flammable material and a fuel tank, I could put on one hell of a pyrotechnical show.

Any of you E.T. know how far the PS can be from the lamp without causing electrical noise or degrading the flash?

I've had to switch to a new e-mail program so if things look wacky I'm still learning.  Like the changing text style in the message above which I have no idea why.  I'm getting too old for changes like this.  It's traumatic.

Larry Flesner