Bob Russell wrote:

>>  When I trial fit the wings on the project I posted pics of the other day in
>> the Facebook site, I did not tighten the nuts onto the bolts (just on loose
>> ) but yesterday I checked for movement at the wing tips and there is indeed
>> movement. My question for all is ... before you tightened the nuts ... was
>> there any movement. <<
---------
My wing attach fittings on N56ML were originally set up with a tight
fit, but after 1100 flying hours and several wing removals and other
incidents, they do now wiggle around a bit.  It's not a big deal,
because it's the bearing of the bolts on the WAFs that keeps the wings
intact, and of course the bearing of the bolts against the spruce (this
one is the governing factor, according to an analysis that Don Reid did
a while back).

The wiggle will disappear as soon as the wings are loaded during takoff,
and you'll never see them wiggle in flight, obviously. You'll probably
never see them bend either, so you can tell you are way down the scale
when it comes to over stressing anything in that structure. At some
point in the loading, all four of the main WAF bolts will have a good
load on them...there will be no stragglers that are not contributing to
support the load.

Clamping force of the main 3/8" WAF bolts is not even used in the
calculation for this joint's strength...it's all about bearing between
bolts, WAFs, and spruce.  For example, when our stress guys do
calculations for NASA work, friction is not even allowed in the
calculation....it's almost insignificant, and there's always the
possibility that somebody doesn't torque the bolt properly, so you don't
count on that friction load case supporting anything (speaking of
bearing loads here, not alternating tensile loads in a reciprocating use
like connecting rods).

As I mentioned a few days ago, before anything in that system fails, the
stub wings will have to be bent something like 10" from the WAFs to the
fuselage, and I don't see how anybody could do that to this airplane
without hitting the earth in a very bad way at high speed.

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
ML "at" N56ML.com
www.N56ML.com