What I bought is a stock engine with, I believe, everything stock inside
and what the seller called a "German .010 .010 crank I was going to
use to rebuild
the engine" along with it. (Plus other new parts, some from GPASC). The new
crank came in a heavy plastic bag with no evidence of its origin, so I
can't confirm what the seller said about it, but the things he said about
the other stuff in the package turned out to be true, so this may be also
(and there may be clues to determine what crank it is, for all I know).

Concerning the 1835 size, I've never wanted anything bigger than that, and
it will be fast enough for me.  The air-cooled VW is an engine designed in
the '30s to have maybe 30 hp, and the more powerful you make it the more
things start to break.  That's partly the reason the Force One hub came
into being, because the larger engines were breaking crankshafts.  So I
figured by NOT building a large engine and still using a Force One, I'd
have reliability to spare in the crank, which is a place where it's nice to
have it.

And I always wanted to build the engine myself. (And in fact I restricted
myself to planes powered by VW engines when I was looking for something to
build).  I've had experience with VWs, rebuilding a bug engine in the '70s
on a car I had then.  More recently, I pulled and rebuilt the head of my
2000 Golf GTI after breaking a timing belt, which led to the replacement of
12 of its 20 valves.  I figured doing that myself would be good practice
doing a long, complicated project and also building an aero-VW engine (and
believe me, the head of a dual-overhead-camshaft five-valves-per-cylinder
turbocharged Golf has more parts than a Type 1 engine and is far more
complicated).

So the idea of buying an engine built by some company that boasts of all
kinds of modifications it made to the VW design is not only uninteresting
to me but positively repellent.  There's no way I would ever consider it,
though I might want to use some parts such as the improved Revmaster heads
if the heads on this engine have any problems.

Finally, I'd be interested in buying a stock Type 1 head that's cracked,
worn out or otherwise a junker.  I want to mill the head for two plugs per
cylinder myself, and I'd like a junk head to practice on.

Mike Taglieri