Hello San
I used a 54/54 prop on my 2100 turbo sucessfuly but had to lower the
compression by putting spacers under the cylinders to run it. I suspect you
are getting some detonation. You are placing increased load on the engine
with the increased prop pitch. If your fuel mixture was perfect for the 48
pitch you may be too lean now. Do you have an EGT  increase?
If you can increase the metering jet size, try that.
I experienced very similar conditions of detination once, but found mine
was caused by trying out a set of heads with the squish area machined out
in an effort to reduce the compression ratio. I quickly went back to stock
heads and spacers under the cylinders. No more problems then.