It occurred to me last night while I was working through some wiring diagrams
for an ignition problem that I put an error in this advice to Pete.  It is
always the - (ground) side of the ignition coil that is switched, so it is the
- side of the ignition coil that would be used as a tach signal and the
equivalent of the "P-lead" from a magneto as a source for wiring the tach
signal.  I'm surprised about a half a dozen of the scholars here didn't correct
me.

-Jeff Scott