As Mark and others like to say, "your mileage may vary" as far as the FAA,
NTSB, or other agency's response to a flying accident or incident goes.  My
response would be "it depends".  My Pietenpol experienced carb ice and the carb
heat was too wimpy to deal with it, so the pilot (not me) put it down in a
rough unimproved field after it began losing power and then died.  He's a
high-time crop duster pilot, instructor, and commercial pilot with a lot of
tailwheel time but none of that helped him when a bad weld broke on the landing
gear and wiped it out, which dug the nose in and put the plane over on its
back.  Guys loaded it onto a flatbed, took it back to the hangar (he's the
airport manager where it happened), sort of propped it up so it was back on its
own legs again, and called the feds to come take a look.  Anybody dead?  Nope.
Anybody seriously hurt?  Nope.  Law enforcement on the scene?  Nope.  Any major
structural damage to the airplane?  Well, come and take a look for yourself.
They declined.  No report needed.  Hope you get it back in the air again.

Things can happen to certified engines too... and my Continental A65 had a
certified Stromberg carb on it with a certified Champ carb heat muff on the
certified Champ exhaust stack.

http://flysquirrel.net/piets/incident/incident.html has a few pix.  If you
scroll down to the first shot of the bent and busted cabane struts about midway
down the page, look at the underside of the wing over the rear cockpit and you
can see dried blood from the only injury.  That's from where blood dripped from
the pilot's forehead as he tried to unbuckle himself from the harness, hanging
upside-down.  The ignition key on my airplane is top dead-center of the
instrument panel.  Yep, right where your forehead would hit in a sudden stop.
The pilot's forehead snapped the ignition key off; we never found it.

Oscar Zuniga
Medford, OR
Air Camper NX41CC, A75 power