Responding to Mark & Larry -

On 4/29/2020 7:24 AM, Mark Langford via KRnet wrote:
Phil Matheson wrote:

> Please do not take this personally
> But WHY does the USA still use mph. In aviation

 and new km "mile markers" on the Interstates, but there was a very negative response that eventually killed it in the early 80's.
In my home state, the signs showing distance to exits and towns were changed to show ONLY metric data. The backlash in that state was based on the reluctance to recalibrate speedometers and odometers in older cars etc, and the legislature admitted their do-gooding was an overreach.
  What a crying shame that we are still screwing around with these ridiculous tape measures that are marked in 1/32" increments. It's insanity. That's why I use metric tape measures, scales, or calipers, when I want to measure something with real accuracy.
I have meter sticks, tapes, etc that I bought when restoring European gliders. The numbers on the prints are the same as the sticks, what could be simpler? But all my essential high precision measuring tools, and I mean all of them, are calibrated in decimal inches.

We haven't talked about "slugs" yet....if you want to see my brain explode.....
Larry - it appears we have some common friends. It was that "character" thing that gave it away...

Chris K