From: Flesner [mailto:fles...@frontier.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2021 4:31 PM
To: krnet@list.krnet.org
Subject: KR>Re: KR flight characteristics

On 8/24/2021 5:14 PM, Ryan wrote:
> My standard KR2 with Tri-Gear was pitch sensitive at 25% chord. I moved the
> 12# battery behind the seatback to get 22% chord and now it is not pitch
> sensitive with 1 person aboard. I have flown with 160# of ballast with a
> similar result.
> Text me if you are in my area for some stick time. Copilot should be under
> 200#.
> Ryan

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ryan,

Thanks for your post.  With your permission I will attempt to add some
clarity to what you posted.

The plans call for a CG range of 15%-35% of chord, 8-16 inches aft of
the wing center section lead edge.  You stated you were at 25% (12") and
"move the battery behind behind the back seat".  We can only assume you
meant "from behind the back set forward" and that put you at 22%
(10.56").  Moving the CG forward would certainly improve pitch stability
but it seems 1.44" is not significant enough to make a major
improvement.  Can you give us an idea of how accurately your scales were
and how close your measurements were?  What was the distance forward you
moved the battery?  Is it again pitch sensitive with a passenger?  It
seems a passenger would have moved the CG back at least to the 25% where
it was once pitch sensitive.

Don't take my questions as disbelief in your results but as a means to
determine accuracy so that others may benefit from your findings.  I
know it has been stated hundreds of times but I'll repeat once more.
For standard KR2's, stay out of the last 2" of the published CG range.

Ryan and others.  If you have info to share, my all means do so. Just
try to be as thorough and as detailed as possible.  We'd like to hear
from you.

For those attending the Gathering I'm scheduled to give a Power Point
presentation on W&B.  We'll cover "what it is", "all the factors" , "why
we care", and "how to determine the CG on YOUR airplane".

How many more days?

Larry Flesner