On 1/10/2022 4:04 PM, Samuel Spanovich wrote:
Just a quick post on my results with a new set of RV-style wheel pants.

I too used a set of RV wheel pants on my KR and gained about 15 mph top end.  The faster the airplane the greater the benefit.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wb9mahqklj8540o/100_5555.JPG?dl=0 I managed to get the grand kid out of the cowl before flight.

Observations:

I ordered mine a dozen or more years ago and seem to recall they had different pants for flat gear legs and tubular gear legs. Today's web page is rather confusing.

One reason I used them is they covered the entire wheel and brake assembly ( Cleveland 500X5 wheels and brakes ) with one unit. This is both good and bad.  Because of their size they may not fit the scale of the KR with short gear very well.  I have 30 inch gear legs.

Because I had to make / adapt some of the mounting hardware to fit my application I used what are called "coupling nuts"  ( ttps://duckduckgo.com/?q=coupling+nut&t=newext&atb=v256-1&ia=web) to make adjustable standoff attach brackets using the coupling nut and threaded rod.  I used the threaded rod at the bracket attached with a nut on both sides of the bracket and then adjusted the coupling nut to the correct length to fit to the inside of the pant and attached the pant with a round headed screw to the coupling nut.  Clear?  Coupling nuts come in various lengths and thread sizes.  3/16 thread size has proved adequate for my install.  Don't forget the lock nut to lock the coupling nut to the threaded rod or you're in for some fun times. To make the leg to pant faring I wrapped the leg with packing tape and simply used canned foam (not ideal) for filler sanded to shape and glassed.  I had my fill of building at that point, had 100 hours on the KR, and wanted to fly.  The price may seem a bit pricey but a 12 mile increase in cruse for 100 hours will get you an additional 1200 miles .

In Sam's case the benefit is as follows:  111 knots for 100 hours = 11,100 km. At 120K he can cover that same distance in 92.5 hours or he could get an extra 900 km in that same 100 hours.  If nothing else they look cool.

There is no such thing as a free lunch but senior discounts are nice.

Larry Flesner