On 3/22/2022 3:11 PM, James McGauhey via KRnet wrote:
  By using true
relative to other flights I've sometimes discovered a slight decrease in
performance, which then makes me look further. One time it was high speed
jet synch of the twin carbs of the Rotax. Everything else was good but
losing 5 kts true was an indicator.

That is certainly a good use of information and each of us build to or install the instrumentation we feel necessary to get the info we want.  I could probably get similar info if I had a MPG and compare that info to rpm and note any changes from flight to flight.  But I fly behind 80 year old technology and as long as I have oil pressure and temp I'm probably in good shape.

Other than your example I find true airspeed irrelevant in my cross country.  I once made a 180 mile flight in the Tripacer and knew the forecast direction of winds at altitude.  As I climbed, staying on course, I trimmed for an exact IAS (100 mph) and watched my ground speed as I climbed to altitude.  I watched my ground speed increase and settled at 5500 feet with a ground speed 60 mph above indicated (or true whatever that was).  Knowing the direction and speed of the wind was irrelevant as I was only interested in the advantage or disadvantage for my current heading and altitude.  I could have descended if there was a known advantage but  going higher would have been a guess as to advantage or disadvantage even knowing the exact wing direction and speed at the current altitude.  I topped off fuel for the return knowing what I would face.  The difference in my ground speed out and return was equal to the cruise speed of the airplane.  That doesn't happen very often.  Having more information would not have changed any decision I made on that flight as I had a fixed destination in each direction.  Knowing the accuracy of my ASI or TAS was irrelevant as it was ground speed that determined the ETA.

We all fly different equipment and have our own desires for the information we want to make decisions about  / during the flight. Do whatever it takes to fly safely and give you a level of comfortable.  No point in "white knuckle" flying.

Larry Flesner