Rick, I'm using clear select Douglas Fir for my project. I used the AC 13B,
ANC-19 to grade, spent 4 hours going through and finding what was in spec. If
your on the east coast, Mcghee Lumber in Charolette NC has it. Clear, straight
grain, about 10-15 growth rings per inch. It was expensive, but I refused to
pay the excessive shipping that AS was gonna charge,  If your on the facebook
page check out my project Chris Stewart N2488C KR-1XL Sent from my
U.S.Cellular© Smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: Mihaly Kun via KRnet
<krnet@list.krnet.org> Date: 7/26/22  15:01  (GMT-05:00) To:
krnet@list.krnet.org Cc: Mihaly Kun <m.ku...@gmail.com> Subject: Re: KRnet>
Newbie questions Rick, Thanks for the clear explanation, particularly for the
first question.Regarding the wood, I think I will get the spar and the longeron
materials from Aircraft Spruce and source the rest locally. Luckily there are
two local builders around me, so I can consult them. Until next time...MihalyOn
Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 12:11 PM Rick Human via KRnet <krnet@list.krnet.org>
wrote:Mihaly, with regard to your "newbie" questions let me attempt to give you
answers to what I'm familiar with.

1. The FAA will only award an "Homebuilt" an airworthiness certificate in the
"Amateur" built category. The "Light Sport" designation is only used for
"factory" built aircraft that have been proven to meet the ASTM guidelines. Now
any aircraft that meets the LSA criteria for gross weight, stall speed and top
speed, etc. can be operated by anyone exercising the LSA privileges. (Think
Cubs, Champs, etc.)

While some will scoff at an LSA KR-2, IMHO it can be done. Yes, keep the empty
weight as low as possible, use the same span as the "Diehl" wings (24ft) and
the original RAF airfoil in the plans. You may also need to use vortex
generators to meet the stall speed. I don't think by going "small" on the
engine output is necessary as you limit the top speed by the propeller
selection. (That's exactly what the Sonex folks do even with the 120hp
Jabirus').

3. There are substitutions for spruce that have been successfully used in the
past, douglas fir being the most popular, stronger but heavier. I would
certainly check around your area for spruce availability, but spruce needs to
meet some pretty stringent criteria (including the way it's harvested comes to
mind) to be graded "aircraft". As you suggest you could use Aircraft spruce in
the spars and longerons and something else in the less loaded areas.

Do your research!

Good luck

Rick Human
KR-2 N202RH (LSA compliant)