I ordered the TailbeaconX with the AV-30 to control it.   The AV-30 also gives
me a back-up horizon, RMI and a bunch of other things.  It's an amazing
all-in-one instrument.  My plan was/is to disable the flash function of the X
and mount it inside the rear fuselage, leaving my existing tail position light
alone.  I've been assured from several directions that the wood of the fuselage
is transparent to the 1090 ES frequency.  It was over $4,000 for the both of
them.  As soon as it arrived they sent me a recall notice explaining that
they'd found a glitch in the software.  So it went right back.

The TailbeaconX solution is compatible with several portable EFIS displays
although not with the Garmin Area 660 . . . which is what I wanted to replace
my AnywhereMap ATC with.  The ATC is and has been a bulletproof navigator since
I bought it in 2007.    Garmin only plays with Garmin unfortunately so I'm on
the horns of a dilemna.

If I want the 660, I need a Garmin ADS-B transmitter.   I like the iFly but
prefer a small screen like the Garmin 660 so maybe I can just use a
high-powered Android phone with a bright screen.  Avare seems like a good one -
pro pilots can be caught using it.

The departure FBO has current weather in graphical form that's always been
sufficient.

For those with a KT-76A or KT-78A, both King and Avidyne make a replacement
transponder that is plug and play with the existing KT-76A/78A tray with
existing wiring. The King is KT-74 is one and the Avidyne is AVX340 is the
other.  And this is old information so there may be even more
transponders/ADS-B units that will slide into a KT-76A tray.  These are 1090 ES
units so neither will get a person weather - no big deal in my case.  The
departure FBO  or simply internet weather on a phone provides weather current
enough to give me a detailed enough picture of what the winds and precip are
doing.   If anyone wants to go across international borders, the 1090 ES is the
world standard.

I'm currently stalled on this ADS-B issue since I'm experiencing a non-flying
interval in my life.  I hope to get back to it.

Thanks Jeff for the info on the UAT range limitation.

MikeKSEE