On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 11:17:26 PM UTC-5, Tim Hockin wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 5:24 PM, Montassar Dridi
> <montass...@gmail.com <javascript:>> wrote:
> > Hi Tim,
> >
> > I'm trying to do something like this example
> >
> https://github.com/kubernetes/kubernetes/tree/master/examples/mysql-wordpress-pd
>
> > I have a java web application and MYSQL database running within
> Kubernetes
> > connected to each other, used "kubernetes Deployment" as the example
> above.
>
> "connected" via a Service or in the same Pod?

-> yes via service and each one have it's own "Deployment" so separate pods

> > When I try to increase the number of the web replicas, they all try to
> > connect to that persistent disk that was created from the beginning, and
> > they get stuck not be able to create the new web pods.
>
> PDs are only able to be mounted read-write by one pod at a time.
> That's just a limitation of the block device+filesystem interface.

-> exactly, that's why I need to automatically generate a new PD unique for
every newly created pod.

> > So what I want is when I ask for new pods, a unique new persistent
> > disks/volumes should be created and associated for each one of them,
> like
> > how Statefulsets/PetSets do it.
>
> Why do you want a new PD for each replica?  If it is new, then the
> "persistent" nature of it is not valuable, and you can just use plain
> inline volumes instead of a claim.  But if it is going to be released
> with the pod, why use a PD at all?  why not just use emptyDir?

->The reason I'm creating new pods, is trying to anticipate what happens if
I turn the Horizontal Pod auto-scaling on. Also I want all the pods to be
consistent with each other, if I modify one, I want them all to get the
same changes.

> > I appreciate your help and thanks for responding.
> >
> > On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 7:41:22 PM UTC-5, Tim Hockin wrote:
> >>
> >> Can you explain what you're trying to achieve?
> >>
> >> Fundamentally, persistent volumes and replication are at odds with
> >> each other.  Replication implies fungibility and "all replicas are
> >> identical".  Persistent volumes implies "the data matters and is
> >> potentially different".
> >>
> >> Now, I can think of a couple cases where this isn't quite so
> >> black-and-white, and we've discussed if/how to implement for those
> >> cases.  But I am not going to tell you what they are until you explain
> >> to me what you're trying to do, lest I muddy the water :)
> >>
> >> Tim

> new
> Is

> montass...@gmail.com>

> the

> https://groups.google.com/group/kubernetes-users.

> > --
> <javascript:>.
> > Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/kubernetes-users.

  • [kubernetes... Montassar Dridi
    • Re: [k... 'Vishnu Kannan' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re... Montassar Dridi
        • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... Montassar Dridi
            • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... Montassar Dridi
                • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... Montassar Dridi
                • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... 'Filip Grzadkowski' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... Montassar Dridi