On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 1:40 PM 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion
and Q&A <kubernetes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Concretely the "tweak a sysctl" thing leaves machines that are
> "dirty".  Once you allow any users to do this, the machines become
> less useful for anyone else who doesn't specifically tolerate that
> tweak.  Almost every sysctl represents a tradeoff.  Optimize for
> low-latency network?  Pay higher CPU and memory costs.  And so on.

I am not saying it is necessarily the right solution for users; just that I
have seen people wanting to do `kubectl get nodes | while read host ; ssh
$host echo foo > /proc/sys/bar`. It would be nice to at least bring that
into the API fold and auditing.

Brandon

> On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 12:33 PM, 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes
> user discussion and Q&A <kubernetes-users@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> > Brandon, would you like to file an issue in kubernetes/kubernetes to
> start?
> > FWIW the privileged run-to-completion node configuration script is a use
> > case we have also seen at Google, but the semantics get a bit tricky. We
> > could start with just a run-to-completion DaemonSet which I think covers
> the
> > use cases you mentioned as well as the one from Mayank.
> >

> > On Fri, Jan 20, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Brandon Philips
> > <brandon.phil...@coreos.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> I think this would be a nice thing to have. I have seen a few users
> >> wanting to do things like run a quick script against all nodes in a
> cluster
> >> that say tweaks a sysctl across the entire fleet. Or, gathers up some
> >> setting and pushes the results to some service.
> >>
> >> I think it would be worthwhile to gather other use cases and write a
> >> proposal.

> then it

> the
> hosts

> .
> >>
> >> --
> >

> > --

  • [kubernetes... Mayank
    • Re: [k... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re... Brandon Philips
        • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
            • ... 'Daniel Smith' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
            • ... Brandon Philips
              • ... Rodrigo Campos
                • ... Mayank
                • ... Ben Kochie
                • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... Mayank
        • ... 'mrpanigale' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
            • ... 'mrpanigale' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
    • [kuber... Justin Garrison