I would recommend filing a Github issue about this. Discussing on the
mailing list is not good for tracking this long-term.

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Ben Kochie <sup...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This sounds like a job that should happen at provisioning time, or by
> config management software.
>
> On Jan 23, 2017 10:00, "Mayank" <krmaya...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, my use case is basically change the permissions of the hostPath so
>> that my pods running as non root can access it. I dont want a pod running
>> as daemon set for this purpose, since the pod will just be sitting there
>> doing nothing, until a new host appears or a host is reimaged, etc. I
>> believe there is no way to mount a hostPath with so that a non root user
>> can access. I would prefer to run a job externally once in a while to
>> ensure this once in a lifetime needed thing.
>>
>> There have been other debugging use cases which , want you to run some
>> commands on a subset of nodes and get their output and complete. I believe
>> a first class kubernetes way of accomplishing those would be awesome,
>> although most of those use cases are debugging scenarios. I do agree with
>> the general sentiment that leaving a node dirty is a bad idea but debugging
>> /testing scenarios or collecting some data by running some commands might
>> be scenarios to consider. What do you all think ?
>>
>> -Mayank
>>

>> On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 4:46:25 PM UTC-8, Rodrigo Campos wrote:
>>>
>>> I also think having"state changes" it's a bad use case, as it's been
>>> pointed out (it can be changed again, etc. No "self healing" once you have
>>> state like that, that goes against most of the basic ideas of
>>> reconciliation loops in k8s).
>>>
>>> But I want to add that, although that use case seems like a wrong idea,
>>> there might be other valid use cases (like gather some data from nodes
>>> once). Maybe it's a good idea to find them first :-)

>>> --

  • [kubernetes... Mayank
    • Re: [k... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
      • Re... Brandon Philips
        • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... 'Tim Hockin' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
            • ... 'Daniel Smith' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
            • ... Brandon Philips
              • ... Rodrigo Campos
                • ... Mayank
                • ... Ben Kochie
                • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
                • ... Mayank
        • ... 'mrpanigale' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
          • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
            • ... 'mrpanigale' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
              • ... 'David Oppenheimer' via Kubernetes user discussion and Q&A
    • [kuber... Justin Garrison