I'm building an AWS-hosted Kubernetes cluster using kops (kops version
1.7.0). Kops creates a kubernetes cluster v1.7.2 and I have kubectl v1.7.4.

I'm following Kubernetes documentation to declare network policies
(see
https://kubernetes.io/docs/tasks/administer-cluster/declare-network-policy/
but similar step-by-step given
at
https://github.com/ahmetb/kubernetes-networkpolicy-tutorial/blob/master/01-deny-all-traffic-to-an-application.md).

 However the network policies to deny access to pods do not have any affect
and I continue to be able to access from other pods. I have tried this
specifying various kops networking options (e.g. weave / calico / canal
etc) but network policy does not seem to be applied with any of them.

Is anyone able to shed any light on this, please?