You don't have to upgrade your nodes at all. They can just stay where they
are. (Master version can be greater than node version, and GKE will
forcefully upgrade your master over time.)

But you're exposing yourself to the following risks:
- old node versions usually have bugs or security vulnerabilities in them
that have been patched in newer versions
- if your current node version doesn't appear in "gcloud container
get-server-config" command, then it means you're on an *unsupported* version.
it's not recommended to be on such a version

So your cluster will keep running even though you don't upgrade at all. As
far as I know there are still GKE users on node versions like Kubernetes
1.3. But this only makes it more likely that you can be hit by a bug that
is caused by master<=>node version gap.

It's recommended to turn on node auto-upgrades feature, which will upgrade
your nodes automatically to the highest *recommended* version over time.