On Thursday 05 Sep 2013 12:11:22 PM Scott Kitterman wrote:

> > Quote from original email ^^ ( specifically for the desktop edition )
>
> Thanks.  IIRC, there were Atom 32 systems sold with 2GB of RAM, but I'm not
> 100% sure.
>
> I particularly don't think this should be done for 12.04 (as this proposes)
> since multi-arch was in a much less deployed state back then.  For 12.04,
> I'd also worry about a user wanting to install some third party 32 bit only
> package and discovering it won't work due to some library not yet
> converted. They end up then having to reinstall their system (or give up in
> disgust).

Your arguments are technically sound, but from a UI POV won't it look
ugly/inconsistent to have amd64 listed first for 13.10 and i386 for 12.04 ?

> What advantage does running 64bit give a user that they would care about?

I can only think of one, albeit a very important one. 32 bit ISO's don't come
with EFI support, only the 64 bit ISO's support machines with EFI / Secure
Boot. Hence this must be clarified somehow on the download page, else people
just get pissed off that Kubuntu won't even boot on their shiny new computer.

Regards
Rohan Garg