Stephane Eranian wrote:
> Eddie,
>
> On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 08:46:06AM +0800, Dong, Eddie wrote:
>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>> Avi,
>>>
>>> A couple of months back, we had a discussion about PMU
>>> virtualization and the difficulty I encountered trying to catch the
>>> PMU interrupt vector in kvm on VM-exit. KVM does not set
>>> ack_intr_on_intr. Would you mind reminding me of the reason for
>>> this?
>>>
>>> On the topic of scheduler hooks for use by KVM, I think this
>>> would help me also because it means I would not have to save
>>> and restore the PMU registers on all VM-exit/VM-entry. At least
>>
>> W/o the hook, the PMU save/restore can be done in heavy weight
>> VM Exit path, the majority of VM Exit are light weight which doesn't
>> need to do if you don't care the cycles spent in KVM.
>> refer vmx_vcpu_put & vmx_vcpu_load.
>>
> I am not sure I understand your terminology about heavy vs. light.

Hi, Stephane:

Sorry for the confuse. Heavy weight VM exit here means a VM Exit which
may cause context switch, while light weight VM Exit doesn't.
We already have some lazy MSR save/restore stuff which is only for
heavy weight VM Exit such as MSR_CSTAR save/restore.

> You do need to stop monitoring on every VM-exit, because you do not
> want to continue measuring while in KVM. On VM-entry, then you need
> to re-activate. So you can use explcit code to clear a bunch of
> MSR on VM-exit and restore them on VM-entry. Alternatively, you
> can use (on VT-x, not on AMD-v) the VT-x feature to automatically
> save and restore MSRs on VM-exit/VM-entry. All of this can be done
> lazily, i.e., only once you start using the PMU.

Yes.

> On VM-exit, which leads to context switch of the KVM thread, then
> you do need to do more work and save the PMU counters. That would
> have to be done by software given that VT-x does not know about
> Linux context switching. This is where the hooks come in handy.
> Same thing on context switch in.

Yes. But without the hook, this save/restore is only needed for heavy
weight
VM Exit.

>> With hook, then we can further reduce the save/restore effort :-)

Yes, that serve us much better :-)

Thx, eddie