Zhang, Xiantao wrote:
> Hi Avi,
>       So you mean IA64 can adopt the similar method as well?

What method do you mean exactly?

> But even so, I am still thinking we have to come out a solution for checking
> IA64 code into existing KVM upstream tree , because KVM infrastructure in
> mainline Linux may been a long way to go. Moreover, we also have no method to
> avoid the abstraction for existing code to support cross-architecture
> framework before what you pointed gets happen. For example, kvm_main.c is
> also required to split as common interface for all architectures. So, I think
> it has no big conflicts between our proposal and the final KVM infrastructure
> in mainline Linux. How about your ideas? :)

The powerpc people had some patches to make kvm_main arch independent.
We should work on that base.

To avoid a dependency on the x86 merge, we can start by working withing
drivers/kvm/, for example creating drivers/kvm/x86.c and
drivers/kvm/ia64.c. Later patches can move these to arch/*/.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.