On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 01:01 -0500, Hollis Blanchard wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 14:11 +1000, Rusty Russell wrote:

> > > What is the "spanning directories" issue? Can't I build
> > > arch/powerpc/kvm/kvm-powerpc.ko and drivers/kvm/kvm.ko and let modprobe
> > > sort out the dependency?
> >
> > Sure, but it creates a silly module.
>
> Isn't there precedent in other areas? What about cpufreq or ALSA? (I'm
> really asking; don't have time to investigate further right now.)

Hmm, cpufreq does do something like this, so I guess it's a fair call.

> > I think guest code belongs in arch/*/kvm/, but host code can be done as
> > subdirs under drivers/kvm/.
>
> Funny, I would say the opposite. The host code is where I'm mucking with
> deep architectural state like stealing the TLB out from under Linux. The
> guest state is all "what would a processor like this do?"

>From my POV all platforms belong in arch/*/, and KVM just presents
another platform.  But the implementation of KVM is as much kvm-specific
as arch-specific, so I can argue over that one.

Whatever way we go, grouping both host and guest support in the same dir
seems confusing (which is why lguest is moving to arch/i386/lguest/ for
guest and drivers/lguest/i386/ for host).

Cheers,
Rusty.