Avi Kivity wrote:
> Christian Ehrhardt wrote:
>> Background:
>> In our ppc code for the demo we only needed a call to
>> cpu_physical_memory_rw to handle all kind of mmio we needed. Looking
>> at all the callback pointers for read/write mmio in kvm_callbacks I
>> wondered if this can be simplified with cpu_physical_memory_rw for x86
>> too. So I tested it today and it works fine on with kvm-svm on my
>> opteron.
>> The only code that did not just redirect to another function was a
>> workaround for a Redhat 7.1 issue, so I merged it in the central call
>> making it easier to find and maintain (was split before) anyway.
>> If everyone agrees with it I will create a new patch also affecting
>> the other implementations of this interface e.g. user/main.c and a
>> rebased version of this one.
>> But maybe there was a reason to do it that split way with all the
>> callback pointers that was not obvious to me, so please comment.
>
> It may be worthwhile to unify all the reads into a single read, but read
> and write are fundamentally different.  The fact that qemu implements it
> in one function is a detail; libkvm aims to satisfy more than just qemu.

That's fair - I thought too qemu-centric while the interface should be
generic.
I changed the simplification patch to have separate read/write calls,
but not one per len. That still reduce the different callbacks for mmio
from eight to two pointers.
To have it clean I put the updated patch in a separate mail.

P.S. Sorry for overlooking your response and asking again.

--

Grüsse / regards,
Christian Ehrhardt

IBM Linux Technology Center, Open Virtualization
+49 7031/16-3385
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Johann Weihen
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen