Marcelo Tosatti wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 08:13:41PM +0200, Izik Eidus wrote:
>
>> this patch simply register the mmu cache with the shrinker.
>>

> Hi Izik,

Hello Marcelo,

> Nice.
>
> I think you want some sort of aging mechanism here.

well it is long time in the todo list to do some kind of lru for the
shadow mmu pages
right now it "recycle" pages in a random way...

> Walk through all
> translations of a shadow page clearing the referenced bit of all
> mappings it holds (and moving pages with any accessed translation to the
> head of the list).

ok, i think i will just add a function named "sort_accessed_mmu_pages",
that will just put to the top of the list the pages pointed by the ptes
that werent accessed
and used it when i shrink, and when pages get recycled

this what you meant right?
> Because the active_mmu list position only indicates the order in which
> those pages have been shadowed, not how frequently or recently they have
> been accessed.

yep

> And then have a maximum number of pages that you walk (nr_to_scan) on
> each shrinker callback run. Oh, I don't think you want to free more than
> one page on each run (right now you can free a large of chunk per run).

thanks.