Liu, Eric E wrote:
> Hi,
> The following patches port xentrace to kvm which is useful for
> performance tuning and debugging.
>
> It is designed to allow debugging traces of kvm to be generated on
> Up/Smp machines. Each trace entry is outputted in a trace ring buffer
> for per cpu which is mapped to userspace, and the userspace tools can
> analyze the data according to some formats definitions.
>
> Since we already have had debugfs_entries and some other kernel debug
> mechanism to use, does this kvmtrace make sense? Any comment is
> welcomed.

This looks very useful.  While kvm_stat provides good data, this is much
more in depth.

The kernel already contains a method of transferring percpu data to
userspace; see Documentation/filesystems/relay.txt.  It supports mmap()
and read().  Please see if it is a good fit.

Please post patches with individual subjects, instead of having the same
subject for every patch.