On 02.04.2009, at 22:08, Hollis Blanchard wrote:

On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 11:56 -0700, Rahul Kulkarni wrote:

Rahul, one major quirk we exploit is that Linux does not use the
MSR[AS]
bit at all. One way that bit could be used is to give 32-bit userspace
separate 4GB address space from the kernel. Instead, Linux puts both
kernel and userspace into the same 4GB address space (with Linux
mappings above 0xc0000000 and user mappings below). If NetBSD uses
MSR[AS]=1 for userspace (which I think is what the hardware architects
envisioned), you're going to have a lot of MMU fun.

Rahul>> The NetBSD port for e500/85xx which we have uses the MSR[AS]
(IS/DS) for user/kernel address space separation which keep the
address spaces split. So that's a major problem to start with. How do
we get creative with this to provide guest mappings is something,
which has to be explored. Let me know if you have any thoughts..

OK, so this is going to be a fun one if you like this sort of thing. (I
like this sort of thing, but unfortunately don't have any time I can
commit to it.) I haven't thought through the details all the way, but at
a high level here are my thoughts:

First, to understand the architecture and the shortcut we're using
today, read http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/PowerPC_Book_E_MMU .

Now if you don't have the AS shortcut (which you don't), the key
observation is that the guest is really is a collection of 4GB address
spaces, and those are identified by 9-bit AS|PID.

(By the way, does NetBSD use PID1 and PID2? I sure hope not... :)

You can treat the 2^9 guest spaces as separate host spaces. When the
guest uses a space, reserve a host space for it, and then map guest AS|
PID to the host spaces.

So for example:
     * Guest creates a new process and gives it PID 7.
* KVM reserves a new host PID. Let's say host PID 23 is available.
     * Guest creates a mapping (tlbwe) for PID 7, EA 0xc00000000, RA
       0x0.
     * Host intercepts this (it's a privilege violation because guest
       is running with MSR[PR]=1).
* Host already translates real address from guest physical to host
       physical. Let's say guest physical 0 corresponds to host
       physical 128M.
     * Your new code: host *also* translates guest PID (7) to host PID
       (23).
     * Resulting shadow mapping: PID 23, EA 0xc0000000, RA 0x02000000.

You'll probably want all shadow mappings to have AS=1. In that case, you would treat guest AS=0 PID=7 as a separate host address space from guest AS=1 PID=7. gAS|gPID 0|7 would be hAS|hPID 1|23, and gAS|gPID 1|7 would be hAS|hPID 1|24. In other words, each guest task (PID) will consume two
host address spaces (two different host PIDs, one for each guest AS
value).

Alexander Graf has already done something like this for his 970 work, so
he might be able to provide more details or issues to be aware of in a
scheme like this.

That sounds a lot like what I imlemented for real mode on 970. I assume the PID is similar to a full SLB context and AS=1/AS=0 is just another bit that could as well be in the PID?

So what we do on 970[1] is we treat real mode as "yet another vsid". 970 translates EA -> VA -> RA. It looks like booke does the same, with the VSID coming from the PID. This basically means that if we're getting into real mode in the guest, we just switch to "guest VSID" 0xffffffff00000000 (which doesn't exist in guests) and map that as one of our host VSIDs available in the pool.

You could do the same. Just OR the AS bit into your "guest PID" you use to map things and allocate whatever PID you need on the host dynamically :-).

Alex

[1] Sources at http://www.powerkvm.org