On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 00:52 +0200, Alexander Graf wrote:

> That sounds a lot like what I imlemented for real mode on 970. I
> assume the PID is similar to a full SLB context and AS=1/AS=0 is
> just
> another bit that could as well be in the PID?

Mostly... however, when an interrupt occurs, AS is set to 0 and PID
remains unchanged. Also, AS can have different settings for instruction
and data fetches. (I've been abbreviating as "MSR[AS]", but technically
I should be writing "MSR[IS] for instructions or MSR[DS] for data").

> So what we do on 970[1] is we treat real mode as "yet another vsid".
> 970 translates EA -> VA -> RA. It looks like booke does the same, with
> the VSID coming from the PID.

Exactly -- Book E uses AS | PID to provide the VSID, while Book S uses
the SLB. The Book E way is much simpler, and also avoids the effective
address collision problem we ran into on 970, because AS/PID don't
depend on the EA.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center