Jan Kiszka wrote:
We already spent to much electrons and brain cycles on possibly "much
simpler" workarounds. I think injecting and handling a single-step, even
while there is guest debugging going on or the guest itself single-steps
or both, will not be more complicated - but "more correct".

I agree. I'm still worried about interactions between the IRET single stepping code and other things which use the debug registers.

--
Do not meddle in the internals of kernels, for they are subtle and quick to
panic.