Hi Andreas,

> > I am (or better libvirt is) starting the guest like this:
> >
> > -drive file=/dev/VolGroup00/testboot,if=ide,index=0 \
> > -drive file=/dev/VolGroup00/testvirt,if=virtio,index=1 \
>
> Both should have index=0 (or no index at all), since the index is
> internal to the driver.

sorry, I'm not getting that far to make this a problem. I just added the
second disk (the virtio one) to  test if virtio is working when the guest is
running.

I first tried it with just one virtio disk and no ide ones: it didin't boot
("Boot failed: could not read the boot disk").

Kind regards,

Gerd