On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 01:36:26PM -0400, Michael Goldish wrote:

> ----- "Mike Burns" <mbu...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Eduardo Habkost wrote:
<snip>

> > > Maybe something like (untested):
> > >
> > >   for k in params.keys():
> > >       os.putenv("KVM_INSTALL_%s" % (k), params[k])
> > >
> > > Are all values on 'params' guaranteed to be strings, or they can be
> > set
> > > to any python value? In the latter case, we could use
> > str(params[k]), or
> > > export only the string parameters.
> > >
> > That's a good idea.  I'm not sure about whether the params are all
> > strings.  I'll try it out and respin the patch after.
>
> 1. Not all params are strings -- 'depend' is a list of strings, so
> str(params[k]) is a good idea.

Agreed. Using str(params[k]) won't hurt.

> 2. Why not just pass the parameters via the command line, e.g.
> install_command = my_script.sh param1 param2

I think keeping the same convention for parameter passing for custom
scripts makes it easier to make custom scripts that behave similarly to
the predefined rules, but with just a few differences.

Also, can't the install rule be used on the cartesian configuration
file? In this case, the install parameters may be specified on a
different config rule.

For example, the Fedora project could use it like this:

cvs_server = "cvs.fedoraproject.org:/..."
variants:
  - CVSF10:
    cvs_branch = F10
  - CVSF11:
    cvs_branch = F11
  - CVSRawhide:
    cvs_branch = devel

variants:
  - install:
    type = kvm_install
    mode = custom
    install_command = "install_from_fedora_cvs.sh"
  - ...

I used Fedora CVS as an example, but the user may use anything we can
imagine, to store KVM code (or pointer to its), possibly having
different branches.

--
Eduardo