On 10/05/2009 03:04 PM, Glauber Costa wrote:
On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 02:17:30PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 09/30/2009 08:41 PM, Dietmar Maurer wrote:
I just think of common scenarios like 'maintanace mode', where all VM should
migrate to another host. A endless migrate task can make that fail.

For me, it is totally unclear what value I should set for 'max_downtime' to
avoid that behavior?

We used to have a heuristic that said 'if an iteration transfers more
pages than the previous iteration, we've stopped converging'.  Why
wouldn't that work?
Because it seems people agreed that mgmt tools would be the place for those
heuristics.

Heuristics like number of pages, maybe. But since we don't export iteration information, we can't expect management tools to stop the guest if migration doesn't converge.

I suppose it could issue a 'stop' after some amount of time (constant * memory size / bandwidth).