On 02/23/2011 04:57 PM, Jan Kiszka wrote:

>  The only situation where using kernel headers not provided
>  by qemu itself is when you want to build qemu for older
>  kernel and omit some features and runtime tests.  But this
>  is hardly a good goal to support.

I don't think the goal of the #ifdefs was ever some kind of size
optimization but just for the sake of avoiding build breakages.

Yes.

Well, "rm -r kvm" is a rather minor thing. But the header discussion is
important IMO as we continue to see breakages in KVM builds (mostly qemu
upstream) due to missing #ifdefs. That means:
  - we do not test all variants (because it's impractical)

We could teach buildbot about it.

  - people use older headers
  - too much effort is wasted on fixing distributed problems that can be
    solved centrally

Yes. But on the other hand carrying headers is the Wrong Thing, isn't it? If everyone did that we'd be in a mess of duplication. I'd like not to contribute to that.