On Monday 18 April 2011, Asias He wrote:

> Hi, folks
>
> I am trying to use qemu/qemu-kvm with macvtap using following commands:
>
> # ip link add link eth0 name v0 type macvtap mode {vepa,bridge,private}
> # ip link set v0 address da:4e:17:88:42:b1 up
> # idx=`ip link show v0 | grep mtu| awk -F":" '{print $1}'`
> # kvm -net nic,macaddr=da:4e:17:88:42:b1 -net tap,fd=3 -hda
> /home/asias/qemu-stuff/sid.img  3<>/dev/tap${idx}
>
> I found that guest can access other hosts on the LAN except the host
> where guest lives, and host where guest lives can not access guest.
>
> My question is: Does macvtap support host(hypervisor host) to guest
> communication?

You can communicate between macvtap and macvlan devices when they are in
bridge mode, but these devices cannot communicate with clients that
run on the underlying device.

Just add a macvlan device to your hardware interface and use that in
the host instead of running on the low-level device directly.

The other option is to use a vepa enabled bridge, but these are relatively
rare.

        Arnd