On Monday 18 April 2011, Asias He wrote:
> (1) Is it possible to add an interface to macvtap like /dev/net/tun,
> eg, /dev/net/macvtap. Currently, it is hard to use macvtap programmatically.

I decided against having a multiplexor device because it makes permission
handling rather hard. One chardev per network interface makes it possible
to handle permissions in multiuser setups.

> (2) Adding another macvlan device(e.g., macvlan0) to the hardware
> interface(e.g., eth0) and using it as the old eth0 make the process of
> using macvtap complicate. One has to reconfigure the network. This is
> not optimal from the user perspective. Is it possible to leave the
> low-level device as is when using the macvtap device?

Only in VEPA mode. Note that a similar restriction applies when using
the bridge device, for the same technical reasons.

        Arnd