On 01/30/2012 12:35 PM, Kevin Wolf wrote:
> Am 30.01.2012 09:55, schrieb Gleb Natapov:

> >> SVM updates the CPL when the segment selector for CS is loaded. From a
> >> svm.c POV, segment selectors are updated immediately after set_rflags,
> >> so it wouldn't really make a difference to do it twice.
> >>
> > It is too subtle to rely on that. The fact is that checking cpl after
> > set_rflags provides incorrect value. This better be fixed.
>
> Depends on what value you consider to be correct between reloading
> eflags and reloading cs. I think it's logical and more consistent to say
> that CPL only changes when cs is reloaded, but you could argue that it's
> effective with the reload of rflags. It doesn't make a difference to
> guests, so we can decide to choose whatever we like.

It's best to make it independent (like svm, and force vmx to emulate
this behaviour).  Real mode forces cpl to 0, vm86 forces cpl to 3,
protected mode (and I think long mode) uses cs.rpl.  Making it depend on
the mode causes subtle issues during the mode switch - if you switch
from real mode to protected mode while cs & 3 != 0 you end up with the
wrong cpl until the jmp instruction is executed.

> Depending on what we decide on (Gleb and I disagree on this, so more
> input would be helpful), either VMX or SVM need a cleanup. I think it
> can be done independent from and on top of this fix.

Right.  IMO we should follow svm and make vmx be more flexible.

One way to do it is to have a new variable for vmx cpl, and reconcile
all the places where cpl is stored (cs.rpl, ss.rpl, cr0.pe, rflags.vm)
just before entry.  If we can't reconcile it, we have to emulate.