On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 01:59:34PM +0200, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 01/30/2012 12:50 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

> > > It's best to make it independent (like svm, and force vmx to emulate
> > > this behaviour).  Real mode forces cpl to 0, vm86 forces cpl to 3,
> > > protected mode (and I think long mode) uses cs.rpl.
> > This is what vmx does, not svm.
>
> That's the architectural definition, except for mode switch sequences.
> vmx implements it directly which means that mode switch sequences
> sometimes fail, either in guest software (setting cr0.pe while cs & 3 !=
> 0) or in "microcode" (emulate.c).
>
> > svm checks vmcb->cpl that can be
> > outdated during emulation.
>
> This decoupling is actually helpful, since you can defer the cpl change
> until the end of the switch, and avoid inconsistencies like those
> checked by cs_ss_rpl_check().

I am not saying it is not helpful. The fact that it exists tells us
that dpl and cpl are not always the same.  But cpl change should not be
delayed until the end of the switch! Mode switch happens in the middle of
a task switch. Task switch happens in 3 stages according to the spec. If
error happens during the first one (steps 1-11) it is handled by an old
task, if error happens during second stage (12 this is where mode change
happens) then anything can happen (we may kill vcpu till reset if we wish)
after that new task is running and all errors are handled by a new task.

To model this accurately we need to do task switch in this three stages
too and do a full register writeback after stage 2 before stage 3. Or
alternatively emulator should never access vcpu state during emulation.
Entire vcpu state should be in emulation ctx. But this is more
complicated and slow.

--
                        Gleb.